[Retros] Red-Handed

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Feb 8 09:11:33 EST 2008

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your mail. Maybe determining criteria is less problematic that I had
thought. I don't know though.

You say that overlooking check is an "opportunity". But overlooking mate is
not? What's your logic there? How about if a player makes a move out of turn?
Or (subtle difference) if a player passes without having moved? After Kf1-g1,
is it an opportunity error to complete the move with Rh1-f1?

I appreciate that the legality of the diagram is not at question for this
format. My remark on proof games was a more general one, in response to the
idea that fairy pieces + pawns =< 8.

I find the terminology "MDR" a little dull. There are too many acronyms in this
little hobby anyway. May I suggest "Red-Handed" as a lively phrase which (in
English) exactly captures your idea?

Andrew.

--- raosorio at fibertel.com.ar wrote:

> Hi Andrew,

> "I have to confess an aesthetic preference for problem forms which are

> "self-defining". With MDR, it appears that there is a codification required

> for

> each form as to what "opportunities" and "incompletions" are legitimate. I

> have

> a related kind of trauma about lexical problems, which depend on the language

> used to record the moves. My problem, sorry. "

> why? perhaps dues to tthe fact the explaining article is missing here.

> Opportunities are well defined ( leaving your king in check, castling when

> you

> had already loose the right to do it, etc) and incompletions are related to

> chess

> moves that involve more than one piece. All these cases have to be deducted

> from the retroanalysis.

> "I think the basic principle should be that the solver is required in

> principle

> to demonstrate whether any position, even a fairy position, is legal. If the

> position is legal, then it can be assumed by the solver that it derives from

> some history (although no reason to assume one history over another). If it

> is

> illegal, then for a fairy position there is no issue. For an conventional

> position, it acquires the property of fairiness, but there is otherwise no

> issue. "

> MDR tries to present the conventional position not as a fairy one but as

> a feseable situation in real game, resulting from a last illegal move

> but under control for the retro rhinking.

> Roberto

> Hi Roberto,

> >Circe problem. Mate?

> I think that the intended answer is "No." Black has just captured Na2, which

> must re-appear like Duncan Idaho on b1 to complete the move and block the

> check. White's prior move can only have been discovered check.

> The key question to be resolved in solving the problem was whether you

> intended

> overlooking check or mate to be a "legitimate" error. The answer is no,

> because

> e.g. otherwise Black might just have captured B on a2, and the problem would

> be

> cooked.

> However this meta-reasoning can now be applied to all other problems of this

> form, which are therefore easier.

> I have to confess an aesthetic preference for problem forms which are

> "self-defining". With MDR, it appears that there is a codification required

> for

> each form as to what "opportunities" and "incompletions" are legitimate. I

> have

> a related kind of trauma about lexical problems, which depend on the language

> used to record the moves. My problem, sorry.

> I applaud the attempt to combine fairy + FIDE rules however. Some fairy forms

> [...]

=== message truncated ===