[Retros] Programs for Solving Retro Problems

Mario Richter mri_two at t-online.de
Sun Aug 24 04:41:04 EDT 2008

Renny> ... but the control panel (Pieces, Color, etc.) overlaps the right
Renny> edge of the Board by about 1/3 of a square.
Renny> ...
Renny> On a hunch I reconfigured my screen to display 1024 x 768 pixels
Renny> (my normal is 1280 x 1024), and that solved the problem.

I'm using it with a display resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels
a very long time, and I never had the problem you described -
so the reason for your difficulties must be something else.

If my assumption is correct that you are using WindowsXP as
your OS, than you might try to set the compatibility options
for the "Retractor" program correctly.

Marko>> yes it's the latest version. The program is old (from 1998).

Maybe we can also use this discussion to define the requirements
for a retrograde analysis program.

I'll start with my personal experiences when using 'Retractor':

On the 'plus' side:
+ the only publically available RA program
+ free usage (you do not have to pay for it)
+ graphical user interface
+ good and fast for 'Last n moves' problems
+ FEN input configurable (so I can use 'N' for knight
and am not forced to use 'S' for knight as popeye does)
+ has a rather strong pawn capture analysis
+ a lot of non-trivial cages are detected
+ allows at least some user intervention:
* w/b 'peacefulness'
* specification of w/b promotions

On the 'minus' side (please have in mind, that the program
is from 1998, so some points can be simply explained by
the limitations of HW and SW of that time!):
- some trivial king cages are not detected
- some simple illegalities are not detected
- the number of variations is limited to 30
- the above mentioned parameter settings (promotions/peacefulness)
are not permanently visible
- no warning, that the program is limited to
approx. 99 last single moves (after saving a longer retractions
at least some information gets lost, sometimes the program
hangs up totally, if such a *.ret file is reloaded)
- if one first makes some retromoves by pointing and clicking,
and than calls the Resolve function, the moves so far are lost
(the help therefore gives the advice to always save the game
before starting a reosultion. O.k. - but I'm often forgetting
it - so in this case an on/off-switchable message "Resolving
will destroy the game so far" would be nice ...)
- no explanation (= the reason), why e.g. a position
has a 'Bad pawn structure'

-- most severe (and at least to some extent a k.o. criteria):
some *legal* positions are judged by 'Retractor' as *illegal*.

Regards,

mario