[Retros] Programs for Solving Retro Problems (marko at ffri.hr)

Alain BROBECKER abrobecker at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 15:18:25 EDT 2008

> On janko.at web site, under subject "Programs for

> Solving Retro Problems",

> these five programs are given: Euclide, Retractor, Popeye,

> Natch and iNatch.

> I'm interesting are these programs the best (most

> seriously) what exist?

Hi,

Euclide, Natch and Popeye are programs to solve Proof Games only
(in fact Popeye can also solve a huge amount of non-retro problems).
Don't know much about them since i don't like much PGs. But they
are light in size so you can have them all.
Also you shall know Fancy is an interface to Popeye.

Retractor allows the user to set up a position and to unplay (ie play
back) the position, with unmove, uncapture, unpromote...
I sometimes use it to find the solution to standard retros
(release the position, where was captured...)
It has some checking for retro incompatibilities (pawn
structure compatible with the number of captures, etc...).
It also has features to automatically solve a position (didn't
really tested it) and for retracor problems (not tested).
It's rather buggy IMO, but it's the only program of its kind i
know of, so well worth the look.

iNatch is "simply" a handy interface for playing games. It's
oriented toward PG problems (Monochromatic, Einstein chess...).

All the programs are freeware, and seem to work correctly
though they sometimes need to get your hands in the dirt
(ie lousy or no interface).

regards, Alain