[Retros] fractional moves: to be or not to be (Geurt Gijssen'sanswer)

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Wed Apr 23 11:57:17 EDT 2008

Hi Roberto,

Geurts inclination seems close to my suggestion a few months ago:

"There is another way to interpret 7.4a "the position immediately before
the irregularity shall be reinstated". If one conceives that the
irregularly only started AFTER playing Ke1-g1, more precisely at the
time the clock was pressed, then the referee might decide to restore the
conditions after Ke1-g1 and demand that the player completes the
castling move."

There is a natural way to handle the illegal move situation by adopting
this axiom: an illegal move cannot be terminated, not by pressing the
clock, not by the opponent playing, not in any other way. Every illegal
move remains incomplete until it is corrected. The logical defense for
this position can be found in the atomic nature of the "chess move".
What else can a "chess move" be than a "legally completed chess move"?
Ever seen half an oxygen atom?

I suppose some pitfalls remain (may be for blitz chess and such) but one
would expect that adopting this position would make the rules a bit
simpler overall.

Guus Rol.