[Retros] Longest Checkmate problem - 290 moves .....

Mario Velucchi mvalg at velucchi.it
Thu Apr 17 14:20:30 EDT 2008

*Longest Checkmate problem - 290
moves*<http://www.chess-poster.com/english/notes_and_facts/longest_mate/longest_checkmate.htm>

http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~banderier/Chess/index.html
http://www.chess-poster.com/english/notes_and_facts/longest_mate/longest_checkmate.htm

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi <olopierpa at gmail.com>
Date: 17-apr-2008 19.22
Subject: Re: [itaprob] computers
To: itaprob at velucchi.it

On 4/17/08, Sterten at aol.com <Sterten at aol.com> wrote:

> someone just wrote to me:

> > There are many chess problems

> > that are totally impossible for computers, but human can solve those.

> > Seeing beutiful things are not possible for computers, but human

> > can realize those - by seeing brightness/light. You cannot make as

> > complicated computer-program as your brains are.

> is it true ?

At the current state of the art in computer programming, yes.

> Is there an example of such a problem which is particularly hard

> (I don't think it can be "totally impossible")

> to implement on a computer but can be solved easily by a human ?

I had once a nice one but cannot find it anymore.

It was a forced mate in a very high number of moves, all of which
were obvious for a human but not for chess programs, which
couldn't do better than to explore the complete tree of possibilities.

Cheers
P.

Se vuoi conoscere altri comandi, scrivi a: itaprob-help at velucchi.it

--