[Retros] A single integer N = a complete chess game

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Fri Apr 11 01:40:26 EDT 2008

> For total efficiency as far as length of output goes, sort all

> possible games as follows:

This is theoretically optimal, but practically impossible und therefore
useless in real life.

Regarding all the encoding proposals in this thread:

Please be aware of the fact that any encoding that uses a fixed number of
bits to represent something (a letter, a piece, a square, a move, etc.) is
not optimal because it does not take intoaccount the frequency a piece moves
or a square is used. For example, you can use a long representation for
castling, because castling is infrequent be definition, or a long
representation for e.p. - but you should use a short representation for the
knight because the knight moves frequently.

An asymptotic optimal algorithm therefore counts the frequency of all needed
representations in a first pass, calculates the optimal representation in a
second pass and then encodes the game in a third pass. For example, if the
pawn a2 never moves in the game, then it is not neceesare to reserve
encoding space for pawn a1 moves. (And in many games many pieces never
move!)

~ÔttÔ~