[Retros] Castling temporarily changed and repetition of position

Alain BROBECKER abrobecker at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 06:12:15 EDT 2007

Dear retro-fans

I attended a formation for referees this WE, and we discussed
over the word "temporarily" in the draw by repetition article:

>9.2

>The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move,

>when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily

>by a repetition of moves)

> a.is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet

> and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or

> b. has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

>Positions as in (a) and (b) are considered the same, if the same player

>has the move, pieces of the same kind and colour occupy the same squares,

>and the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same.

>Positions are not the same if a pawn that could have been captured

>en passant can no longer in this manner be captured or if the right

>to castle has been changed temporarily or permanently.

My view is that the word temporarily is superfluous since the case
where castling rights will change temporarily will never happen:
with all other pieces on the same positions and with the same move
possibility, if a castling is possible/impossible on one of the
position, it will be exactly the same in the repeated positions.

Or am i wrong?

Best regards, Alain

Alain Brobecker (abrobecker at yahoo.com) |_ _ _ |_
http://abrobecker.free.fr/ |_)(_|(_|| ) of Arm's Tech