[Retros] using a=>b in Popeye

Thomas Maeder maeder at glue.ch
Sat Nov 17 08:42:33 EST 2007

Joost de Heer wrote:

> peter.fayers at virgin.net wrote:

>> Can anyone please tell me how to enter diagram b when using stip a=>b

>> in Popeye?

> begin

> fors beginposition

> stip a=>b7

> fors endposition

> end

> In a=>b, black begins. If you want white to start, use 'option white'.

> Example how to do a proofgame:

> begin

> fors rsbqkbsr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RSBQKBSR

> stip a=>b2

> fors r1bqkbsr/pppppppp/8/4s3/8/8/PPPP1PPP/RSBQKBSR

> opt whi

> end

Currently, Popeye's output doesn't mention which side is to move. I consider
this a nuisance if the problem doesn't have a solution (e.g. because Popeye
lets Black move first while the user intends to let White move first); do you
agree.

The current development head (source downloadable from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/popeye-chess/) produces this:

+---a---b---c---d---e---f---g---h---+

| |

8 -R . -B -Q -K -B -S -R 8

| |

7 -P -P -P -P -P -P -P -P 7

| |

6 . . . . . . . . 6

| |

5 . . . . -S . . . 5

| |

4 . . . . . . . . 4

| |

3 . . . . . . . . 3

| |

2 P P P P . P P P 2

| |

1 R S B Q K B S R 1

| |

+---a---b---c---d---e---f---g---h---+
a=>b2(White) 15 + 16

Initial:

+---a---b---c---d---e---f---g---h---+

| |

8 -R -S -B -Q -K -B -S -R 8

| |

7 -P -P -P -P -P -P -P -P 7

| |

6 . . . . . . . . 6

| |

5 . . . . . . . . 5

| |

4 . . . . . . . . 4

| |

3 . . . . . . . . 3

| |

2 P P P P P P P P 2

| |

1 R S B Q K B S R 1

| |

a=>b2(White) 16 + 16

which gives the information but doesn't look very nice. Suggestions for
improvement are welcome.

--
Thomas