[Retros] Beta Chess

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Thu Mar 29 11:30:45 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

Having studied Turnbull's article on fuddled men, I am pretty much
convinced that PbyD "Prove it by Doing it" is very similar if not
identical to LbyL "Leap before you Look". We still have an off-line
discussion going on about LbyL but this might be a useful picture to
those who have some affinity with the LbyL-concept.

Turnbull is somewhat inconsistent in his use of "Ceriani Ethics" which
affects at least one of his compositions. In my view 'fuddled men'
provide a good demonstration of the limited scope of "Ceriani Ethics".

The subject at hand with PbyD and Ceriani Ethics is "the processing of
imperfect information". Although we currently have 2 major logical
systems for approaching it - retrostrategy and retrovariants - neither
has been elaborated sufficiently to provide watertight generic rules for
the handling of information holes in unorthodox chess variants. Once
these have been accomplished, there is an ocean of interesting variants
available for retro-composition. Fuddled men and Beta chess are the
easiest of entry points in that they only require single move memories.
What if we play "Mad Max chess"? Each unit starts with (let's say) 3
precious units of gas and plays at the expense of 1 unit per move.
Capturing an opponent implies capturing his fuel reserve. The first
question on any "Mad Max chess" diagram becomes: 'how much fuel units
can be legally available in this position and how should we consider
them distributed?' Do you wanna play 20.000 retro variants or is there
an easier approach?

Guus Rol