[Retros] Again about En Passant Chess

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Mon Mar 26 08:02:42 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I like Andrew's metaphor. If we need to start from the original
justification of the en-passant pawn move - presumably preventing the
creation of a passed pawn - we can never justify the generalized idea of
en-passant chess. There are no "passed pieces" in the same sense that
there are "passed pawns". For extensions we should therefore look at the
"how" rather than the "why" of the e.p. action. To prevent getting in
all sorts of "collapsed time" trouble, the idea of trailing supply
wagons is most appropriate. When the supply wagons are taken, the
advanced owner unit is captured and its prisoners freed.

Guus Rol.