[Retros] en-passant chess

peter.fayers at virgin.net peter.fayers at virgin.net
Wed Mar 21 10:34:16 EDT 2007

Hi Franco,
I am intrigued by the idea, and will investigate further in due course.
My initial thoughts regarding replacement of captures is that when playing over-the-board, replacement would give a more interesting game, whereas permanent removal would give more scope for retros.
Consider:
rnb1kb1r/ppppnp1p/4p3/8/8/3P4/PPP1PPPP/RS1QKBSR PG 3.0 en-passant chess
gives a valid solution if captures are permanent.
If we allow replacement of pieces captured by a unit subsequently captured e.p., then we would have to replace bQd8.
This spoils the problem, it is now dualled as White's 3rd could have been either BxQd8 or Be7. I see no way to avoid this theme recurring in all e.p. retro attempts.
Rgds,
peter.