[Retros] Retro-strategy and new AP-type

Valery Liskovets liskov at im.bas-net.by
Tue Jun 26 07:30:00 EDT 2007

Dear Guus,

The intention of your problem is fresh, beautiful and, I believe, correct
in the framework of the AP-logic: indeed, we see a posteriori why B
couldn't (or had the right not to) mate on the 2nd move. A noticeable
(although reflexmate restricted) contribution into the retro-strategy.

However, I have doubts as to the soundness of the problem as is:
in order to postpone castling, instead of immediate 4... Bxg7, Black
could play first 4... Rd8+!, and only after 5.Kc7(xb7) Rd7+ 6.Kc8
take 6... Bxg7, etc. If I'm right, maybe merely the repetition rule
saves your position (with r#8)!?

Btw, the additional thematic nuance mentioned by you which is
concerned with the forced illegal reflexmate Ke7# (instead of
compulsory 0-0) would have been very interesting, particularly
if it could arise on greater than n move (in r#n) as the only way
to disqualify some B's attempt.

Valery L.