[Retros] die Schwalbe 13237 - Gerald Irsigler

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Tue Jan 30 10:58:02 EST 2007

Hi Mario,

The problem with your 8 attacking queens position is that there are a couple
of pairs which are separated by a knight's move.

It isn't an issue that some of the pieces are on 1st or 8th rank. I agree
with Roberto that we make the sensible assumptions:
(a) exactly 1 king of each colour
(b) no pawns on 1st or 8th ranks

Suppose that it were possible to place 7 non-attacking knight-queens on a
board. Each of them defines an exclusion zone of 5x5 25 squares which no
other knight-queen can enter.

There must be one of these in the central 4x4 square of the board, since
otherwise only 6 can be placed. By symmetry, there are only 3 cases to
consider, and it's just a couple of minutes to check that none of them work
out. Dividing up the remaining area into cells which can accommodate at most
1 knight-queen allows one to prune very quickly.

So 6 is the best for non-attackers + 1 for the extra connected dude gives us
7 as the answer.

Cheers,
Andrew.