[Retros] Request for definition of "retro"

per olin per.olin at luukku.com
Wed Jan 17 13:12:16 EST 2007

Hi Andrew,

As for your message below, you are addressing an important issue. I recall that Dittman has an extensive analysis of what retros are. Was also there, or somewhere else, metioned the similarity between proofgames and helpmates? I welcome all initiatives to make clear definitions, and Dittmann has that for retros. Some magazines classify proofgames as fairy chess (at least in their annual competitions) so there is still much to do in this area. Suggestion for definition of retros: as defined by Dittmann in his book Der Blick zuruck !

Yes, a lousy answer to your question, but we don't have to invent the wheel twice. Suggest that as the retro corner composers now compete with having shortest possible proofgames, we could have a similar verbal one: who defines retros in shortest possible way in English?

Best regards

Per Olin