[Retros] Petrovic #8 is C+

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Thu Jan 11 12:40:03 EST 2007

Repetition rules are generally fine. Codex Article 18 provided the
automaticity desired by composers and note [21] affirms the requirement
of identical positional properties. The only bug remaining is that the
option to claim a draw has not been expressly erased from the default
option list. The idea of conventions should not be to add ambiguity and
confusion but to remove them! The fear of losing creations in that
process is unwarranted since composers have been granted unlimited
powers to bend rules and stipulations.

Note: Rules are loosely 'musts/mustnots' and conventions
'shoulds/shouldnots'(preferences). It is doubtful that there is much
meaningful difference between the two in chess composition. With the
extensive rule autonomy of the composer, the status of all rules reverts
more or less to being 'conventional' or 'default'. The subtle
distinction between rule and convention to justify certain views on
compositions appears like hocus-pocus to me and tends to obscure the
issues.

Guus Rol.

Article 18 - Repetition of Position

A position is considered as a draw if it can be proved that an identical
position [21] has occured three times in the proof game combined with
the solution.

[21] Identical position means the same kinds of pieces on the same
squares with the same move rights.