[Retros] 50 moves rule

liskov at im.bas-net.by liskov at im.bas-net.by
Sat Jan 6 12:10:25 EST 2007

Dear retro-friends,

Concerning the notions of "essential progress" and "position" (and its
repetition) let me recall the famous chess problem of N.Petrovic (The
Problemist, 1959, 1 Pr.; P1012540):
[r3k2r/p2p4/p1pP2p1/5pN1/5p2/1Q3p2/PP4b1/KB6] #8
1.Qb7! Rd8 2.Qb3 Ra8(2) 3.Bd3 Rh1+ 4.Bb1 Rh8(3!) 5.Qc3! Rh7 6.Qf6. It has
practically nothing to do with retro (and nothing with 50 moves), and for me
its soundness is undeniable forever, regardless of any formulations in any
codex.

Valery Liskovets