[Retros] Codex of Chess Composition (was: Another Update of theRetro Corner)

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Sat Jan 6 07:41:39 EST 2007

Dear Valery & All,

> > As I wrote: >It is taken from "Problem"<. Unfortunately,

> > Andrej could not provide the issue number or a publication date.

> Are you sure that the _final English_ text of the Piran Codex

> was publshed in "Problem"? Well possibly, but more probably in

> "The Problemist".

Sorry, I did not get it that you are talking about the Englich text.

Yesterday I found a footnote in Wolfgang Dittmanns Book "Der Blick zurück",
page 57, which reads: "Kodex für Schachkompositionen [Piran 1958]. In:
problem, Januar 1959, Nr. 55-60". I think this is exactly the text which you
can find now on the Retro Corner.

I would be happy to publish an official English text too, if anyone can
provide it.

> > Thomas Maeder [it was Günther Büsing] wrote a few days ago:

> > "The current codex replaced the Piran codex of 1958. Part I

> > was accepted at the PCCC meeting in Rotterdam in 1991

> > and Part II in Portoroz 1997. There were no intermediate

> > codex versions."

> > Obviously you disagree, there was an intermediate version

> > of the codex agreed on 1973. Can you provide the text changes

> > agreed in Imola?

> I disagree only in essence but I think I have never heard on

> a _formal_ intermediate version of the codex (Piran+Imola), nor

> even on a formal text of Imola's decisions (e.g., in EG35 (p.53)

> it is only pointed out that in Imola, "revisions of the 1958 Piran

> Codex with respect to retrograde analysis were adopted").

What is it good for to "adopt revisions of the Codex" if no one knows about
it? Is it documented somewhere, even if it did not lead to a formal
intermediate version?

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://www.janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." [Benjamin Franklin]