[Retros] Last move Type D

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Mon Feb 19 07:35:13 EST 2007

Hi Mario,

This is a very nice survey... thanks for doing it.

(1) One issue with Type D is that there are ludicrously many possible tasks.
One area of focus could be positions where the White last move & the Black
one are the same, e.g.:
P-B/P-B/10 K1krB3/p1pp1p2/8/8/8/8/6P1/7b
(The existing P-B/P-B/28 has a different focus, since it aims for the last
4.0 moves.)
P-N/P-N/16 Nrk5/1ppRp3/3p4/8/8/4P3/3PrPP1/5KRn
P-R/P-R/19 Rnb5/1kpp4/brp5/1p6/8/5PPP/4PRK1/5BNr
(The obtrusive promotion is ok by the rules of this task, and can be removed
at a cost of 3 more units.)

(2) I've only looked at a few of these, but there is one obvious translation
from German needed in B--/B--.

(3) We need a canonical ordering, to see easily what's been done already.
Alphabetical sorting is fine, but then there is an issue in ordering the WTM
& BTM solutions. I think in the canonical form, these should be
alphabetically ordered as well (e.g. K-/N- not N-/K-) no matter which side
plays which. Unless there is a position which can only be realized one way
round...

Cheers,
Andrew.