[Retros] Sir Arthur Eddington's Cricket Problem

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Feb 15 21:02:45 EST 2007

Sir Arthur Eddington's Cricket Problem
escaped this "sport". Still, I think that initially not knowing the rules
will add to the charm of the puzzle. (And I am sure that Wikipaedia must
have those rules.)

Extract from the score of a cricket match between Eastershire and
Westershire:

EASTERSHIRE – Second Innings

A.A. Atkins 6
Bodkins 8
D.D. Dawkins 6
Hawkins 6
Jenkins (J.) 5
Larkins 4
Meakins 7
Hon. P.P. Perkins 11
Captain S.S. Simkins 6
Tomkins 0
Wilkins 1
Extras 0

Bowling Analysis:

Overs Maidens Runs Wickets
Pitchwell 12.1 2 14 8
Speedwell 6 0 15 1
Tosswell 7 5 31 1

The score was entirely in singles and fours, with no catches, no-balls, or
short runs.

Speedwell and Tosswell each had only one spell of bowling.
Pitchwell bowled the first over, with Mr Atkins taking the strike.
Speedwell was the other opening bowler.

Q:
1. Whose wickets were taken by Speedwell and Tosswell?
2. Who was not out?
3. What was the score at the fall of each wicket?