[Retros] a2#, b2#, etc

Francois Labelle flab at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 13 15:30:28 EDT 2006

Hiro wrote:

> Do you know the shortest PG records of mate by ...a2, or

> ...b2, or ...c2, ... or ...h2?

In 5.0 moves:
1. Nc3 d5 2. Ne4 dxe4 3. f4 Qd4 4. Nf3 exf3 5. f5 f2#

Due to the symmetry of the board, you might want to consider games ending
in f7# to be competing for the same record, in which case I have this PG
in 4.5 moves:

1. h4 g5 2. hxg5 f5 3. Rxh7 Nf6 4. gxf6 Nc6 5. f7#

According to my computer files, f is the only column that can be done in
5.0 moves or less. I suppose that you require the last move to be
non-capturing. Allowing moves like exf7# gives more possibilities, but
still nothing more than the f-column in 5.0 moves or less.

Gianni Wrote:

> This game?

> 1. d4 d5 2. Kd2 Qd6 3. Ke3 Qa3+ 4. Kf4 f6 5. b4 g5#

You found it!

Another gratuitous challenge: Find the only 2 proof games that start with
1.e4 and end with 5.f7# (not exf7#).

Francois