[Retros] total homebase mate

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Nov 17 12:25:06 EST 2006

For Ka1, a similar solution works:

SPG 9.0 C+
rnbqkbnr/1ppppppp/8/8/3P1Q2/4B3/1PP1PPPP/KR3BNR w KQkq - id 18;

Note the positions of the White dP, B & Q are uniquely determined by
the requirement to ensure mate.

The set of candidate squares where the wK might be homebasely mated is
revised:

1qq5/rbq3b1/KqnKbK1K/K1bq1bqr/rb1q2bK/K2q3K/r2q3r/r2q3r w - -
key:
Bl units show checkmating piece for that square.
wK indicates that multiple Bl units might mate on that square (perhaps
by double check mate?)

This is derived from the following steps:
(1) square must not be adjacent to bK
(2) square must be checkable by Black officer
(3) a8 => bBc8 is missing => b7 not attacked, but no Wh unit ok for b7.
(4) h7 => no protection for bRh8 possible

cheers,
andrew.