[Retros] total homebase mate

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Nov 17 08:48:07 EST 2006

Hi,

Here is another homebase mate, which I think is the shortest yet.

SPG 7.0 C+
rnbqkbnr/ppppppp1/8/8/4P3/3B4/PPPPNPP1/RNB3RK w KQkq - id 14;

As far as approaches are concerned, my over-riding concern in this sort
of task is to minimize the number of moves.

In contrast to Roberto, I would not object if one of these SPGs
involved the capture of homebase officers. Of the 37 possible
destination squares for a mated white king in a homebase mate, 11
appear to be unattainable if one keeps the constraint that all homebase
officers must be surviving. It seems a pity to lose these. See diagram:

kkk3kk/kKK3Kk/kKKkKk1k/K1KK1KKK/KK1K2KK/K2K3K/K2K3K/K2K3K w - -

However, this is just my own aesthetic opinion...

Cheers,
Andrew.