[Retros] Accidental retro

Mario Richter mri_two at t-online.de
Sun Feb 5 17:57:01 EST 2006

Noam wrote:

> Leafing through a copy of Laszlo Polgar's _5334 Problems, Combinations,

> and Games_ that I saw on a coffeetable earlier today, I noticed

> the following miniature in the Mates In Two section (#2940, p.547):

> W Kg6 Rf6 Nc8 Pe6 Pf7 = 5

> B Kf8 Pe7 = 2

> The retroanalytic content is surely not intentional ...

I think this position is misprinted, the correct place of
the white king might be: Kh8.

Btw., the book also contains some problems, where the retroanalytic
content is intended, like:

No. 1942
W: Kg8 Rb7 Rc7
B: Ra8 Ke8 Pg7 Ph6

fen= r3k1K1/1RR3p1/7p/8/8/8/8/

_________________
| |
| r . . . k . K . | 8
| . R R . . . p . | 7
| . . . . . . . p | 6
| . . . . . . . . | 5
| . . . . . . . . | 4
| . . . . . . . . | 3
| . . . . . . . . | 2
| . . . . . . . . | 1 (3+4)
|_________________|
a b c d e f g h

or

No. 1747
W: Pb2 Pc2 Qc1 Ke1 Rh1
B: Ka2 Nb1

fen = 8/8/8/8/8/8/kPP5/1nQ1K2R

_________________
| |
| . . . . . . . . | 8
| . . . . . . . . | 7
| . . . . . . . . | 6
| . . . . . . . . | 5
| . . . . . . . . | 4
| . . . . . . . . | 3
| k P P . . . . . | 2
| . n Q . K . . R | 1 (5+2)
|_________________|
a b c d e f g h

Most interesting for me was

No. 1513 (and similiar No. 1517)

W: Nb8 Kc8 Rb7 Pa6
B: Ka8 Ra7

fen = kNK5/rR6/P7/8/8/8/8

_________________

| |
| k N K . . . . . | 8
| r R . . . . . . | 7
| P . . . . . . . | 6
| . . . . . . . . | 5
| . . . . . . . . | 4
| . . . . . . . . | 3
a b c d e f g h

According to the book, the composer of this problem is
Mrs. W.J.Baird, 1907.

Is it really likely that Mrs. W.J. "Twentieth Century Retractor" Baird
overlooked such a simple retroanalytical fact?

greetings
mario