[Retros] 8th row mates by knight promotion

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Dec 28 00:33:56 EST 2006

Hi Olli,

Thanks for your email, and charitable puzzle. I decided to tackle 2 of
your set:

bxaN
Nnbq1bnr/p1kp1ppp/4p3/3Q4/2p5/8/PP1PPPPP/RNB1KBNR

cxbN
1Nb1qbnr/1p1kpppp/1Q6/r2p4/p7/8/PPP1PPPP/RNB1KBNR

Both are PG in 6.5.

I think you are right that it is better to tackle a smaller group of
problems in a focused way, rather than charging after hundreds of
different records.

I share Francois Labelle's reluctance to leap into producing a PG for
each possible last move. Apart from the sheer scale, the exercise is
also contingent upon the syntax chosen for move recording. I prefer
ideas which are inherent in the chess itself. This is probably
hair-splitting but that's aesthetics for you.

Cheers,
Andrew.