[Retros] Christmas Contest of Stuttgarter Zeitung

Jens Guballa Jens.Guballa at online.de
Tue Dec 26 15:54:35 EST 2006

Hi,

I need to make some corrections/clarifications:

I translated the German word "Stein" with "piece", but "chessmen" is
probably the correct translation, as "Stein" means "piece or pawn".

So the correct translation for problem B is:
"Remove a chessman. Then checkmate in one move."

And for problem E:
"Two chessmen are exchanging their places. Then ceckmate in two moves."

On the retro corner Otto has published the correct translation.

In addition there is a mistake in the FEN I posted for problem E. There
is a black bishoph on h1. The diagram on the retro corner is wrong. In
case of any doubts: please check out the diagrams on Harald Keilhack's
page:

http://www.kaniaverlag.de/htm/Weihnachts2006.html

Hopefully, here comes the correct position E:

E: Günther Weeth
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | | | R | | | | R |

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | N | K | p | | p | p | r |

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | p | | | p | P | | p |

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | P | | | P | | | |

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | N | | | | | P | k |

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

| | | | | P | P | | |

[3R3R/1NKp1ppr/1p2pP1p/1P2P3/1N4Pk/4PP2/6pP/6bb]
Two chessmen are exchanging their places. Then ceckmate in two moves.

Otto, can you please update the diagram on the retro corner?

Best regards,
Jens