[Retros] 50-moves draw

Renny Bosch rbosch at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 24 18:36:18 EST 2006

Hi all,

I found the explanation of the apparent redundancy in Gianni's quote of FIDE Chess Laws:

"Article 9.3 The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, if he writes his move on his scoresheet, and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move which shall result in the last 50 moves having been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture, or the last 50 consecutive moves have been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture."

I had asked:

>Can someone explain what is the difference between "the last 50 moves" and "the last 50 consecutive moves"?

>What could possibly be meant by "the last 50 non-consecutive moves"?

The explanation is found in punctuation/spacing. The current FIDE website has:
"9.3 The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, if

1.. he writes his move on his scoresheet, and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move which shall result in the last 50 moves having been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture, or

2.. the last 50 consecutive moves have been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture. "

So the difference is that in case a. the player having the move makes the 50th move himself, in case b. he claims the draw after his opponent has made the 50th move.

Merry Christmas or equivalent,

Renny