[Retros] 50 moves rule

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Sun Dec 24 02:44:41 EST 2006

Hello to all,
Some 30 years ago Nikita Plaksin published in Shakhmaty v SSSR a small article in which he wrote that, according to the (then) recently adopted new version of 50-moves remis rule, castling was proclaimed to play the same part as pawn move or capture. For decades I was convinced that this was indeed so; moreover, FIDE Album 1992-1994 contains problem H19 from S. and Y. Volobuyev (not Volibiev, as in the Album) which is based on the above-mentioned interpretation of the 50-moves rule. Then I discovered that this interpretation is not present in any legal documents. Makes one wonder where that rumor originated from.
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it, and a happy New Year to every member of the Retro Corner!
Yours,
Andrey