[Retros] 50-moves draw

liskov at im.bas-net.by liskov at im.bas-net.by
Sat Dec 23 12:53:05 EST 2006

Tom wrote:

>2. If it is B's move, what happens when he makes the mating move

>that is also the 100th consecutive non-P move, non-capturing move?

>W claims the draw and B claims the mate. Whose claim is respected?

>The actual rules of chess on the FIDE site unfortunately don't

>really face the issue,...

I disagree with such an interpretation of the Rules and see no
dilemma. As I understand, a draw claim by the 50 move (or 3 time
repetition) rule, being implicitly based on future actions, may
be effective only BEFORE the game is over. 100-th mating single
move has been legal, and a mate is superior!

Season's greetings!

Valery Liskovets