[Retros] recent improvements

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Tue Dec 19 21:50:11 EST 2006

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the further details.

>From what you say, 13 plies is really out of the question at the moment. But

I want to just understand why 12 is impossible.

If I was doing 12 ply, I would partition the work into 8 tasks, one for each
Black pawn. In each step, it would be constrained so that the particular
pawn has to move at least 5 times, not counting a single step from 2nd to
3rd rank.

This would reduce the amount of time to perhaps 12 hours per task but more
importantly would reduce the amount of space used.

Of course, at the end, any candidate PG is not *guaranteed* to be sound...
there might in principle be a sequence of moves (not necessarily even a
candidate PG) from another task which reaches the same position.

But this is easy to fix: just run through Popeye the candidate PGs in which
more than one Black pawn moved, to check for soundness.

Does this make it tractable?

Cheers for now,
Andrew.