[Retros] recent improvements

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Sun Dec 17 12:55:22 EST 2006

Hi Mario,

Thanks for this. It was with some trepidation that I checked your results
against the list of positions we had assembled - I was worried that our work
might all be undercut.

It turns out that in *5* cases, our homespun results can be improved upon:
Piece Line Ours Actual
N cxd 13 11
N exd 12 11
R e 13 11
R dxe 12 11
Q dxe 12 11 (presumably similar to R dxe).

I will have a think to see whether I can come up with the actual results.
But really they belong to Mario, if you would care to peer into your
database and tell us what the solutions are!

There are now however *40* of our solutions (including some 12 ply cases)
which were already best possible. This means that there are 43 cases where
we don't know whether our solutions are optimal.

I presume that none of the solutions so far includes any double/discovered
mates? It might *just* be possible...?

Extrapolating the values you gave, the 12 ply case might take of the order
of 100 hours. Is this possible for you to run? Or does Francois Labelle have
access to more powerful hardware that he might run?

Thanks again,
Andrew.