[Retros] bug?

pascal.wassong at free.fr pascal.wassong at free.fr
Tue Aug 2 18:11:18 EDT 2005

Hi Paul,

> Dear retro friends,

> Natch offers the following proof game that is obviously illegal:

> 1.Pd2-d4 Pa7-a5 2.Ke1-d2 Ra8-a6 3.Kd2-c3 Ra6-c6+ 4.Sb1-d2.

> Is this a bug?

No, this is not a bug, this is a feature. :-)

The stipulation of the position is wrong : you asked for a proof game where
white played the last move, but the white king is in check. In such a case,
Natch finds solutions like the example you give.

This is due to the way Natch tests for checks : when a move can capture the
king, then Natch knows that the previous move was illegal. In your example, a
black 4th move is missing, which would allow Natch to see that Sb1-d2 is
illegal.

I hope that my explanations are clear. If not, please mail me privately (natch
at free dot fr), this may not interest most readers of this list.

Best wishes,
Pascal