[Retros] More than 100 positions leading to the foolish mate. Yefim 10/09/2004

Joost de Heer ildjarn666 at linuxmail.org
Sat Oct 9 13:10:12 EDT 2004

> The funny example: a foolish mate: 1.f3 e6 2.g4 Qh4# Computer (WinBoard)

> gives final position as:

> rnb1kbnr/pppp1ppp/4p3/8/6Pq/5P2/PPPPP2P/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 3

> with all possible castles!?

Yes. WinBoard isn't programmed to change castle rights when a game ends. Complain to the writers of WinBoard. Slim chance they'll listen though.

Winboard will give 'c3' as EP square in the following position too:

8/8/8/8/R2p3k/8/2P5/7K w - - 0 1
1. c4
8/8/8/8/R1Pp3k/8/8/7K b - c3 0 1

The following works under XBoard. Since WinBoard is a port of this program, I assume the same behaviour can be found in WinBoard.
Other (WIN/X)Board weirdness: Try to find out what the possible moves are in the following position, according to Win/XBoard:

W: Kg2 Pf4
B: Kh4 Pg3 Pg4 Ph5
Black to move.

Joost