[Retros] Two little SPG-challenges

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 10 14:19:14 EST 2004

"Anders&Margareta" <uddgren at xpress.se> replied:

> For the record: Natch on P4 3 GHz 512 MB

> A: 1 mn 18.13 s

> B: 10 mn 11.87 s

> not a great diff

It's a factor-of-3 difference, enough to change my answer to part A
of the "First challenge"... I found a solution of A in 2-3 minutes,
and a solution of B in about 5. But that's not a fair comparison,
because Natch is finding a complete list of solutions and I can't claim
to have proved that there are no others.

Mario further writes:

> Second challenge:

> Both proof games contain a rather paradoxical

> element (at least I consider them that way).

> Can you construct longer proof games (not

> necessarily of the "At-Home"-type), which show

> the same element?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I see different paradoxical elements
in the A and B solutions, both of which have been featured many times
in longer proof games, so can't be the one common element you have in mind.

NDE