[Retros] Retro solving competition Messigny

Thomas Maeder maeder at glue.ch
Wed Jul 7 12:47:07 EDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2004 17.06 schrieb Gerd Wilts:

> Pascal Wassong wrote:

> > PS : I can probably send the Word document (or in text format)

> > containing the problems privately to people requesting it, so they

> > won't be published publicly on the mailing list.

> According to the FIDE codex problems which are used in a national solving

> championship are considered as published, but they may be reprinted in

> magazines and they may participate within 2 years in a composing

> tourney, if I interpret the codex correctly. But of course, in order to

> make sure that the problems are indeed not considered as published, it

> might be better to not distribute them in the mailing list.

I think that you are right. Sending the problems to this list would have to be
considered equivalent to *re*printing them.

Last time somebody mentioned this on this Codex article list, a longish,
meandrous discussion followed. Maybe, I can avoid it with the following
clarifications:

These problems are to be considered published as a protection for their
composers; if somebody tries to publish the same problem in, say, a magazine,
the composer of the solving tourney entry will have precedence.

In my opinion, the 2 years limit is presumptuous; it's not the PCCC's business
to tell a composing tourney organizer which problems to include when and
which not to include. A clause requiring a composer of such a problem to
inform the tourney organizer would be better.

In the PCCC's (and its Codex sub-committee's) defense, it should be mentioned
that at the time when this Codex article was cast in stone, it was considered
"normal" for published problems not to be eligible in composing tourneys, so
the 2 years limit was seen as a progress.

--
Thomas