[Retros] solution independence

Joost de Heer ildjarn666 at linuxmail.org
Wed Feb 4 03:45:52 EST 2004

> Why not pass all the multiple solution SPGs generated by Francois into Euclide

> (which has a Batch mode).

I used Natch in semi-batch mode for this (below is the bash-script I used). A composition is cooked if Natch uses the words 'see solution' in its output. After sifting out the cooked ones, I manually went through the genuine 2-solution ones and picked out the ones where the 2 solutions have at least -some- difference between the solutions.

#!/bin/sh
# Syntax: solve.sh [file with FENs] [ply]
# e.g.: 'solve.sh ply10.txt 10'.
# All non-cooked PG's are saved in 'output.txt'
rm output.txt
for f in `cat $1`; do
echo "Researching $f..."
echo $f > input.txt
Natch -b -m $2 -o output1.txt input.txt
if [ `grep -c 'see solution' output1.txt` -eq 0 ]; then
cat output1.txt >> output.txt
fi
rm output1.txt
done

> Euclide will also flag up the differences between

> the different solutions unearthed, so it's easy to see by eye which are the

> cooks, and where there is clear difference.

I tried this first, but the output file was too big to be of any use. More than 80% is cooked.

> Natch and Popeye may also have capabilities here.

For Natch: see my approach. For Popeye: I didn't try it, but I assume it's not gonna be very useful, it'll take too long.

> Related questions are:

> - how closely one SPG resemble another with a slightly different diagram?

I haven't looked at the 1-solution ones yet. Perhaps there's a multi-twin somewhere in there.

> - how related are the solutions if we have an SPG=n, PG=n+0.5?

Francois has the at home ones he found on his website. And why only 0.5? 1.0 or even larger differences are possible too (with no intermediate PG's)

Joost