[Retros] Longest possible games with specific pieces moving

Mario Richter mri_two at t-online.de
Sun Aug 29 05:57:07 EDT 2004

Hello,

in another thread, Ryan McCracken wrote:

> There are examples (several retros by N. Plaksin) that make good

> use of the 50-move rule. ...

Probably the most famous chess problem with a reference to the
50-moves-rule is the questions about the longest possible chess game.

This question had inspired me to ask myself some smiliar questions,
for which I would like to compare your answers with mine.

(1) What is the longest possible chess game, if both sides only
move their knights and the 50-move-rule applies?

(Using E.Angelini's stenochess notation, a different formulation
of the above question would be: What is the longest legal
stenochess string consisting solely of 'N's [N=kNight move],
if the 50-move-rule applies?)

(2) What is the longest possible chess game, if both sides only
make pawn moves? (To make it clear, after a promotion, promoted
pawns are not allowed to move.)

(Or in E.Angelini's stenochess notation: What is the longest legal
stenochess string consisting solely of 'P's [P=pawn move]?)

I can imagine that these questions have already been asked in the
past. If that is the case, it would be nice if somebody can provide some
information about author/source/solution.

Thanks!

mario