[Retros] Probleemblad 1-2003

Peter van den Heuvel schaakbordje at gmx.net
Sat Feb 1 09:14:40 EST 2003

Hello!

>> The 3rd HM composition as originally published was cleverly cooked by

Henrik Juel (who found a 48.5 move unwind), so I am puzzled by the award.
However I recently sent Peter a corrected version (which Henrik had found
to be sound), so perhaps the award is for that version.

>No, the position in the award is the cooked version. I was puzzled by this

too. Perhaps Piet le Grand (the judge, who took over the place of Philippe
Schnoebelen) missed the mentioning of the cook?

After a quick scan of old e-mails and Probleemblad
issues I think that Probleemblad (the retro editor)
has never directly been informed about this cook.
Please correct me if I am wrong in this.
So the judge is not to blame, as there was no mention
of a cook in Probleemblad.

So if one finds a cook in (old) problems, inform not
only the composer but also the magazine in which it
was originally published!

And yes, recently in December I received a corrected
version. But due to a correspondence delay I have not
processed it yet. Anyway, the award has already been
written in October, so this diffuses the discussion a
bit.

Best wishes,

Peter van den Heuvel
Probleemblad retros editor