[Retros] Re: cylinders, an old composition, not a discussion!

Pastmaker at aol.com Pastmaker at aol.com
Tue Sep 10 22:07:05 EDT 2002

Andrew,

"Anchor ring" is what The Problemist editor substituted for the
composers' "torus". However, in what I have learned to refer to as a "senior
moment", I erroneously recalled two of them and, unclear as to the correct
plural for "torus", opted for the more easily pluralized (and preferable in
England, at any rate) "anchor ring".
The list has been copied as I thought our colleagues might enjoy the
problem. It is one of the handful of non-retros I have composed, and I will
honor you all by not posting others.
It appears as Number F546 in the July 1980 Problemist, by joint
composers S. Millman and T. Volet: [5K1k/1Q6/8/7N/3n4/n7/8/6N1 (4,3)] Mate
in 1: (a) diagram, (b) vertical cylinder, (c) horizontal cylinder, (d) anchor
ring, (e) vertical moebius strip (a1-a8 adjoiuns h8-h1), and (f) horizontal
moebius strip (a1-h1 adjoins h8-a8). Hannemann had earlier published a Mate
in 1 with the first four surfaces, and Millman and I set out to extend that
interesting idea. If the 2 BNs are removed, the resulting position works as
a Mate in 1 for each of the first 4 surfaces. The absence of Ps seems
tactful.
Not long thereafter, Millman added two Klein Bottles, which I recall as
being the moebius strips with edges joined. That was published in die
Schwalbe some time in the early 1980s (but I don't have a cite).

Regards,
Tom