[Retros] history and convention, cylinders aside

Pastmaker at aol.com Pastmaker at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 12:40:43 EDT 2002

Dear friends,

Of course history must be borne in mind, and we do it all the time. As
any lawyer knows, because laws often change, it is a familiar exercise to
determine the law applicable at the time of the acts in question. Past acts
generally do not become unlawful if a change in law would make such acts
unlawful if engaged in now. (In the legal context, the issue is
sufficiently important to have been specifically addressed in the U.S.
Constitution.)
But we also draw on history routinely in other contexts. Imagine judging
the behavior of Shakespeare's characters only by the standards of today's
social conventions.
If the 50 in the 50-move rule is changed tomorrow to 250, would one
conclude that all the compositions hitherto composed using that rule to show
a drawn position were unsound? That is an odd, and confusing, use of the
term "unsound". It groups a large number of compositions that were sound when
composed together with those that were not. Imagine instead that the rules
are changed to allow Pawns to move both up and down the board (with whatever
promotion convention). How many problems would become '"unsound"?
If A utters the true statement "X's most recent birthday is his 50th.", A
does not become a liar in that regard when X reaches his 51st birthday. This
does not mean that the statement "The Earth is flat" was not false when
made, for it was an incorrect statment of fact. But a statement correctly
reporting facts as in effect at the time the statement is made does not
become a false statement when the facts change (as in the case of X's
attaining another birthday). Once again this will be very familiar to
lawyers in the context of a representation's being true and correct when
made, in which the party making the representation has no resonsibility for
subsequent changes of fact if the facts as represented were correctly
represented at the time (e.g., "the company has $N of assets", if true when
made, does not become a misrepresentation when the assets subsequently
decline).
Putting aside cylinders, which may involve conventions not agreed upon
(and with with I am not familiar in any event), a problem sound under agreed
conventions (for example, a position in which it is demonstrable that in the
past 55 moves neither side has moved a Pawn or captured (or castled, if that
matters) with the stipulation "draw?"), does not become unsound in any
reasonable sense of that term when the rule is subsequently changed from 50
to 60.
I know it is an impatient world, but, whatever extra work it may entail,
I think we should not yet discard the lens of history.

Tom Volet