[Retros] Re: GD50JT

Gianchess at aol.com Gianchess at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 01:18:58 EST 2002

Dear Noam and others:

> > Gianni Donati 50th Jubilee Tournament (GD50JT)

> > We [=StrateGems] are pleased to announce a tourney celebrating Gianni

> > Donati's 50th birthday (19-Apr-2002)! The GD50JT requires proofgames with

> > the following theme: "A promotee leaves its promotion square and returns

> > there. The promotee may be captured." Below are two basic examples

> showing,

> > respectively, a non-captured and captured promotee. Entries to Dan

> Meinking

> > must be received by 31-Dec-2002. Judge: Gianni Donati

> Congratulations to Gianni, and good choice of theme!

> The proviso "The promotee may be captured" seems strange, since the

> first sentence does not exclude that possibility. Is the diagram allowed

> to have a thematic piece on a square other than its promotion square

> (after having left it, returned, and left again)? Any other implicit

> conditions -- status of twins, fairy conditions, etc.? Also, any

Thanks for the good wishes. Since I am the old man, I suppose I can try to
answer these questions.

Yes, it seems the promotee can be diagrammed on a square other than the
promotion square. The statement that "the promotee may be captured" simply
emphasizes the possibility. Twins, etc., are welcome. (Remember Michel's
triplet in the StrateGems 1st TT?) As to fairies, just remember that judge
is a fellow with an aging mind...

Here is one lovely example in the literature:

Satoshi Hashimoto 2nd Pr. Problemesis 1998-2000

1.d4 Cc6 2.d5 Ca5 3.d6 c6 4.Dd5 Dc7 5.d×c7 d6 6.Dh5 Fe6 7.c8=F Fb3 8.Fh3 b6
9.g4 0-0-0 10.g5+ f5 11.g×f6 e.p.+ Rb7 12.Fc8+ T×c8

Best,

Gianni