[Retros] Re: GD50JT

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 4 01:03:08 EST 2002

> This was also in StrateGems 18:

> Gianni Donati 50th Jubilee Tournament (GD50JT)

> We [=StrateGems] are pleased to announce a tourney celebrating Gianni

> Donati's 50th birthday (19-Apr-2002)! The GD50JT requires proofgames with

> the following theme: "A promotee leaves its promotion square and returns

> there. The promotee may be captured." Below are two basic examples showing,

> respectively, a non-captured and captured promotee. Entries to Dan Meinking

> must be received by 31-Dec-2002. Judge: Gianni Donati

Congratulations to Gianni, and good choice of theme!

The proviso "The promotee may be captured" seems strange, since the
first sentence does not exclude that possibility. Is the diagram allowed
to have a thematic piece on a square other than its promotion square
(after having left it, returned, and left again)? Any other implicit
conditions -- status of twins, fairy conditions, etc.? Also, any

NDE