[R129 SL] R: Soft Top and Roll Bar Indicator Lights On

Matthias Fouquet-Lapar fouquetlapar at free.fr
Sun Apr 12 02:52:45 EDT 2009

The problem is probably even much less costly. The soft top control unit
has an error memory ( as have many system components). If for some
reason the error memory is filled up, the soft-top (and rollbar which
are a combined in a '96) will fail to operate. Simply read out the error
codes and clear the memory. I do have the original Mercedes HHT, but
there are cheap methods to use build a $5 error code reader or you can
have this done at your Mercedes dealership.

There is a lot of false understanding of electronics out there and it's
always very easy to sell a replacement unit if you are not familar with
the car's electronics. The only reason this particular control unit
fails is if you jump start your car - at least I heard of few cases (and
even this does not sound logical to me). Of course selling a new
controller will also fix the problem - but I think in 95% of the cases
it's unnecessary, but it sure helps the dealersships and spare part
departements.

If I were you I would follow-up with the detailer, you brought in an
operational car and they gave you back a car which is not. I think that
the controller failed in exactly this time-span is probably less likely
then to win the lottery.

An alternative which is said to work (although I've never seen it work)
is to pull fuse #8 if I call correctly for a couple of minutes to clear
the faults, but as far as I remember the faults are stored in
non-volatile memory

BTW - when I did read out my soft-top error's the last time they were
about 10 random errors in memory. If you need help to build a test
reader to need the full table of error codes, please let me know

Kind regards from Paris

- Matthias