[R129 SL] Dual Exhaust?

George Simpson george.simpson.r129 at tiscali.fr
Sun Apr 1 14:51:53 EDT 2007

On my 1990 500SL, I removed the rear silencer box and had a stainless
steel 'drainpipe' fabricated which clips over the existing +/- 3 inch
pipe and at the other end has the two down turned pipes exactly the same
as the M-B standard rear box with a bracket for the standard two rubber
rings suspending it from the car. It makes a lovely burble at low
speeds, weighs a quarter of the old box (which I have retained), but
whether there is any difference in performance is hard to tell - there
are not many roads in Europe (short of the German autobahn) where one
can unleash 325 bhp!!!!

George Simpson
Cognac