AIP-Princeton Meeting Notice

AIP Princeton pwaring@association.org
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:19:26 -0500

The Princeton Chapter of the Association of Internet Professionals (AIP)
will be meeting on Tuesday, November 13 from 6 - 8 pm at The Sarnoff
Corporation, Rte. 1 and Fisher Place in Princeton. Please Note! This
meeting is a day earlier than our usual second Wednesday of the month.

Our speaker will be Russ Lockwood, CEO of Magweb.com, a successful and
award-winning website that has not only survived the dot-com implosion
but actually makes a profit. It is distinguished by being a
subscription-supported business -- versus a free but
advertising-supported model -- that demonstrates how solid thinking,
planning and technical execution leads to success. As a bonus, Mr.
Lockwood will present some perspectives directly pertinent to our "War
on Terrorism" since the attacks of September 11, derived from the
content of Magweb, which is targeted to Military History buffs both
professional and amateur.

This presentation promises to be both illuminating about the technical
and business aspects of a successful Internet company in our own
territory, and one that also connects to all who would like to better
understand our own history-in-the-making and difficult times. Don't miss
this one, it promises to be unique, and to stimulate your thinking on
every level.

Bring a friend or associate, we welcome guests! Our meetings begin with
networking and light refreshments, then we have our speaker and another
opportunity afterwards to chat. AIP members are free, guests are $10 at
the door. Directions to Sarnoff are available on our own website at
www.princeton.us.association.org.

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, and don't hesitate to give
me a call for more information about the AIP-Princeton Chapter or the
meeting this month.

Priscilla Waring
President, AIP-Princeton
pwaring@association.org
215-369-4866
_________________________

Also of interest:

Princeton ACM / IEEE Computer Society:
Adding Sight to Sound: Television's Past, Present, and Future
Alex Magoun, Director of the David Sarnoff Library
Glenn Reitmeier, Vice President, Sarnoff Corp.
Thurs., Nov. 15, 2001, 8:00 PM, Sarnoff Corp., Princeton, NJ
Additional Information: Dennis Mancl (908) 582-7086, or David Soll (215)
854-3461

This special meeting will present a wide-ranging perspective of the story
of the history of television, from the early development of electronic and
then color television, into the all-digital high-definition future. For all
of the utility of the Internet, the events of September 11 and the targets
of the anthrax mail show that color television remains remains a unifying
technology, respected for its influence on global audiences.

Alex Magoun, director of the David Sarnoff Library, will present an
illustrated history of the development of electronic color television, and
moderate questions and comments by retired RCA speakers and the audience.

Glenn Reitmeier will then describe of the development of digital and
high-definition television, and discuss the current state of the adoption
of DTV and HDTV. Glenn will then speculate on the future of broadcast
television as it continues to develop and merge with Internet and other
video-delivery systems.

Alex Magoun received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland with his
dissertation on the development of the phonograph record, 1877-1950.  For
the last three years, he has been engaged in resurrecting the non-profit
David Sarnoff Library as a center for the study and display of the
innovative spirit as represented by Mr. Sarnoff and the employees of
RCA.  The Library is currently co-funded by Sarnoff Corporation and the New
Jersey Historical Commission.

Glenn Reitmeier is Vice President of Digital Television and Web Media at
Sarnoff Corporation.  He was one of the key members of the Grand Alliance
and a leading contributor to the ATSC Digital Television standard. He has
been a major contributor to developments in MPEG-4  and MPEG-2 compression,
integrated circuits for DTV receivers, and the integration of video in
computers. His efforts have contributed to forming six startup companies
and have resulted in two technical Emmys.  He holds over 40 patents in
digital television technology.

This meeting is part of Sarnoff Corporation's celebration surrounding the
IEEE's Milestone award to the RCA Laboratories for the invention of
electronic, monochrome-compatible, color television between 1946 and
1953.  The Milestone program is the IEEE's way of publicizing the
significant accomplishments of electrical and electronic engineers around
the world; color television now joins a list including the first
trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, Marconi's trans-Atlantic reception of a
radio signal, and the ENIAC.

A pre-meeting dinner with the speaker is held at 6 p.m. at the Rusty
Scupper on Alexander Road in Princeton. If you would like to attend, please
RSVP with an e-mail to princetonacm@acm.org.

Princeton ACM / IEEE Computer Society meeting are open to the public.
Students and their parents are welcome. There is no admission charge, and
refreshments are served.