[W126 Coupe] Wheels

Matt Petersen mbcoupes@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:13:07 +1300

Thanks Talbir.

Cheers
Matt.

-----Original Message-----
From: mbcoupes-admin@mbcoupes.com [mailto:mbcoupes-admin@mbcoupes.com]
On Behalf Of Sharan Bains
Sent: Wednesday, 5 January 2005 10:51 p.m.
To: mbcoupes@mbcoupes.com
Subject: Re: [W126 Coupe] Wheels

For a given width of wheel, the higher the offset number, the deeper the

wheel sits inside the arch.

Lowering the offset number brings the wheel further out to the arch.

So if 8J with e18 works, then 8J with e23 will definitely work, as e23
wheels will sit 5mm deeper inside the arch than e18's. Adding spacers to
wheel with e23 will bring it out further to the arch.

The likes of AMG and Lorinser reccomend lower offset numbers for two
reasons. Improving appearance, as wheels lining up with the arches looks

nicer. Secondly, it widens the track which in turn improves handling.

BUT, there is an upper bound with offsets, as well a a lower bound.

With 8J wheels, the upper bound is approx et33 (at the fronts). Beyond
this
point, say 8J with e35, there is no danger of the wheel rubbing the
arches,
as it is sitting deep inside the arch. The danger comes from the inner
rim
rubbing the suspension components/track rods on turning corners.

So with 8J, an offset between 11 and 33 works on the W126 on the fronts.

8J with e35 works fine on the rear, just looks odd as the wheel sits
very
deep inside the arch.

I have created the attached spreadsheet which shows difference in
distance
from outer edge of wheel to the hub face for various width/offsets
versus
the stock set-up, which is highlighted in bold. For example, the 8.5J x
18
with ET 25 (Satish' set-up) is exactly 0.500 inch difference to stock
7.5J x
16 et 25, i.e. sticks out 0.5 inch more..which is obvious anyway from
the
width of the wheel. The 8J x 16 with et 11 sticks out 0.801 inches more
than
stock. The attached sheet has 3 columns in red, in which you can type
the
width (in inches), offset (in mm) and width of any spacer you may wish
add (in mm).

9J with et 29 MAY work at the rear, but with such a high offset number,
there may be a danger that the inner rim of the wheel rubs against the
inner
firewall. Spacers of 15mm may not be enough either. 20mm looks right
from
the attached spreadsheet calc, as this means your 9J x 17 et29 will
stick
out 1.38 inches more than stock. On my lowered 560SEC, I am running 10J
x 17
ET 17 at the rears, which stick out a whopping 1.56 inches more than the

stock wheels. Satish is running 10J x 18 with ET 25 at the rear, which
stick
out 1.25 inches more than stock wheels. Both our set-ups run fine with
no
rubbing problems, so given 1.38 is between 1.25 and 1.56, 9J x 17 ET29
with
20mm spacers should work.

There is a tremendous amount of room in the rear wheel wells on the w126
-
the danger is not so much rubbing the arch but the tyre/rim rubbing the
inner wall.

As shown on the attached sheet, ORIGINAL AMG spec for rear wheels has
been
(and this is directly from my W126 AMG prospectus)

8J x 16    e11
9J x 16    e0         (yes, zero offset)
10J x 16  e -12.7   (yes, neg 12.7) but this size and spec is for the
widebodied version only.

The above 3 wheels specs are directly taken from my AMG prospekt, which
is a
40 page detailed booklet on w126/w124/w201 exhausts, diffs, suspensions
and
wheels. A fantastic piece which I got from Germany.

talbir