[LargeFormat] BTZS --- first steps

Steve Nicholls gl1500 at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 29 21:51:25 EST 2005

I have battled with "correct" exposure for years. And recently I
purchased a very nice densitometer on ebay and a followed that with a
copy of Phil Davis' book Beyond the Zone System.
I imagine I was no different to most people in my first reaction to the
apparent complexity of the system and took sometime to start to digest
the methodolgy involved. I have tried to use the zone system for years
and for me it hasn't provided the information I required - consistently.
I explored the BTZS forum and absorbed as much material as I could but
failed to comprehend a couple of points. After a couple of private
emails from Phil I felt more than confident to at least takle the paper
testing. This proved to be an eye opener as I use a D2 with condensor
head and the step wedge test immediately identified paper characterists
I felt I knew but was not fully aware of. The contrast curves of the
paper were much steeper than I expected.

I was apprehensive about exposing film under an enlarger but it turned
out to be almost a complete no brainer. The most difficult part was
establishing a standard exposure and this took 2 sheets. At the end of
the day I had all my step wedges exposed and processed and read by my
densitometer. I'm still at the plot on paper stage but I imagine that
also will change in the near future.

The big test was a sheet of real film under real photographic condition
and I'm happy to say I'm very pleased. Considering I have no prior
experience with this type of testing I achieved more useful information
than I have even done in the past. I have a small laminated chat of
SBR's and Development times and that seems to work quite well. I love
the fact I can use the incident meter as part of the system.

It has taken me a little while for the lights to come on with a basic
understanding of BTZS but the learning curve is not really as steep as I
first though.

Steve
Adelaide - Australia