[LargeFormat] Photoshop

Paul Aparycki tawow at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 27 21:44:46 EST 2005

Vince

I looked at their site, and it seems to be fairly high-profile enough that
they would easily draw the attention of Adobe or Microsoft if they weren't
legit (though as you say it might have fallen off a truck). What is slightly
bothersome though in the description of CS2, is the header calls it CS2, and
the line at the very bottom of the description refers to it as that also,
BUT, the entire blurb/description when it does mention the name refers to it
as CS, the prior version, which might well be available for $80 . . . why I
bring it up is because it looks very much like a "bait and switch" tactic
that auto dealers will use. (I am JUST GUESSING here . . . don't take it as
being the rule).

If you are worried, why not get in touch with Adobe themselves? . . . if
there is a real problem they will let you know. There is no time limit on
the deal at OEM, so if you have to wait a little, so be it.

As to "is it worth it?", well Photoshop LE or Elements are usable on a day
to day basis and are for most users more than adequate, but there really are
a lot more features in CS2, including handling 16 bit and a lot more useful
filters and manipulation, there is also "Adobe Bridge" which is an image
browser that Adobe likes to maintain is a god-send, while most people I know
would like to kill the idiot who ever came up with it . . . it sloooooooows
the program down.

I work commercially, I shoot a lot in 6x12, and I digitize and retouch
extensively . . . Photoshop Elements was usable for most of that, but now I
am going more in the direction of composites and I need an extraordinary
amount of control . . . so I have CS2, BUT, like MS Office and so many other
"superior" programs there is a lot of shit in there that just slows the
whole thing down.

It is too late to stop the technology juggernaut from going in the stupid
direction that it is, which is a shame. Someone should have had the foresite
at Adobe, Microsoft and countless other code writing dens of evil to make a
good, solid basic bare-bones program that would accept plug-ins designed for
specific needs . . . then you could have a Photoshop or an Office for a
hundred or so dollars, or what have you, customized to your needs that
didn't need 10 trillion GB just to make the bells and whistles go off.

sorry for the editorializing . . . boy do I hate this tecno stuff ;-))

good luck
Paul Aparycki