[LargeFormat] Wide field and Commercial Ektars

Les Newcomer LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 23:50:09 EDT 2005

My take on the 000 lenses is it shows this lens was not part of
production.  It could mean anything from testing a slight tweak of the
lens formula to a new way to mount/manufacture  the lens.

   I think the date codes are accurate and some of these were
sequential.   Maybe a project needed 3 sets of lenses in 54, so they
would make up 001 002 003 all with an RE code.   Other projects may
need only one lens,  so 5 RE 000 were made.      There could have been
a hundred RE000 lenses of different types and focal lengths out there.
there are also 4 digit varieties too, but have no idea of the
significance, if any.
Some early lenses  (ie around 1940) that have a K at the end of the
serial number. Another mystery

While the word prototype is accurate, it usually is taken to mean
something to do with the glass, when in fact it could be a lens that
was assembled on the production line and then tested to see if the
production line is ready to roll.

Back in the 60s Ford did this with the letter K.  All Mustangs with a
plant code of K were pilot plant cars....cars made to test the factory.
  99% of them were scrapped.  Many were photographed for brochures and
press packs.  (and if anybody is a Mustang fan, lets not start a thread
mixing up the high performance engine K code with the plant code.)