[LargeFormat] Wide field and Commercial Ektars

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 10 18:34:20 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk at ix.netcom.com>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Wide field and Commercial Ektars

   The above was posted from work by memory. I am at home
now.
   The 1945 edition, 1946 printing, of "Kodak Lenses,
Shutters and Portra Lenses" a booklet included in the _Kodak
Reference Handbook_ has the Eastman Ektar and No.70 Kodak
Anastigmat included  as well as many other Kodak Anastigmat
lenses. The Wide Field Ektar is not listed. The Third
Edition, dated 1948 lists the Commercial Ektar and Wide
Field Ektar as well as the changed names for the Anastmat
series.
   Evidently, Kodak began hard coating lenses c.1946. The
"Second Edition" of the above booklet, undated but probably
1945, describes the Eastman Ektar coating in this way "The
inner glass-air surfaces are treated by a special process
which reduces reflections." In the 1946 book this becomes
"The glass-air surfaces are treated..." The early coatings
used on these and a few other Kodak lenses (the lens on the
Medalist and for the Ektra camera for instance) were too
soft to expose them to even ordinary cleaning. I don't know
what process Kodak used on these earlier lenses but it was
likely an earlier version of vacuum coating before the
discovery of baking in the vacuum chamber. Or, perhaps it
was a chemical dip coating. Coatings of the latter type were
known and were developed at various labs, especially RCA.
Chemical bath coatings can be wiped off the lens. Unbaked
vacuum coatings are harder but will not withstand routine
cleaning and wear. Baked vacuum coatings are very hard.
   There is a gap in time between the various editions of
the lens booklet. I don't have all the printings although I
do have both a first and second printing of the 1946
booklet. Its possible that the WF Ektar is listed in a later
printing or, perhaps, was not listed until the booklet was
completely revised in 1948. The date code on the lens is the
best indicator of its date.
   Kodak built a great number of lenses for the military and
for special purposes. Also, some prototype lenses have come
on the market. As stated before I believe 000 serial numbers
are prototypes not intended for sale.
   Again, the Eastman Ektar and Commercial Ektar are the
same lens under different names. The medium format Kodak
Anastigmats and Kodak Ektars are not the same lenses, in
fact, both were made for a time.
   There is a very good history of vacuum coating for optics
at the Society of Vacuum Coaters site at http://www.svc.org

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA