[LargeFormat] Wide field and Commercial Ektars

Ken Hough k4sb at niia.net
Tue Aug 9 23:45:04 EDT 2005

Les
I have a "set" (100mm, 135mm, 190mm, 250mm) of WF Ektars from 1946.  Code
EO.  I was told these were VERY early in the series. You saw the 250 at
Greenfield Village. Most of the ones I've seen are from 48 including the
190 I use most. When I was in the Navy
I worked on shutters of WF Ektars that were not marked WF Ektars. They
just said EKC and a series #  with a serial number. No letter code. I
can't remember the series number. A Series 32 f4.5 turned into the Ektars.
and I think Series 33 f6.3 turned into the Commercial Ektars.
 Copals showed up around 1965 with a Polaroid "pro camera" the 180.
It also had compur shutters too.
Ken

Does anybody have an introduction date or "earliest known" date for
these lenses in any focal length? The best I can get is a 1948 edition of
"Kodak Lenses"  which mentions them, but doesn't say they are new or just
introduced.

While I'm asking for dates, when did the Copal shutters start coming
into the US market?

Les